HIDING GOD'S WORD IN OUR HEARTS
Extra from Volume 6#3 by Shioh S.
Throughout the Bible we are commanded to hide God’s Word in our hearts. It is very important for Christians to memorize Scripture because there may come a day when our Bibles will be taken away from us and we will need to recall the Word of God. It is also important to meditate and memorize Scripture so we will be able to remember it through out our daily lives.
Yes, but how?
Sometimes memorizing scripture can seem harder then memorizing a song or a scene from a movie. I believe that this is because Satan is working against us. He doesn’t want us to have the Bible hidden away in our hearts. So, with this in mind, we need to work harder and store God’s Word in our hearts even more so. Here are some ideas that may help you with memorizing Scripture…
1) Write your Bible verse(s) on a 4x6” card and bring it with your everywhere you go. When you are outside working pull it out of your pocket and memorize a few lines or when you are waiting in line at the store work on it there too.
2) Record yourself saying your verses out-loud then throughout the day play your recording and listen to it over and over again.
3) Make up a tune and sing your Bible verses or find a hymn that fits with your chosen scriptures.
4) Do hand motions while you repeat your verses. These could be Sign Language or just your own motions which help you remember.
5) Find a pattern in the Bible verse. This could be like remembering how many “when thous” are in Deuteronomy 6:7: "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."
5) Memorize with your siblings and take turns quizzing one another. Or get together with a close friend and encourage one another along.
6) Memorize Scripture as a family. My family recently finished memorizing the Ten Commandments. As a family we memorized one verse at a time during dinner time and recited it together. Sometimes our father leaves out a word or a line and we fill them in with the correct word or line.
Memorization can be a challenge, but it’s something the Lord has command Christians to do! I pray that each and every one of you will continue to press on and work on storing more of God’s Word in your heart day by day. So, that we might each be able to say, “With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee" (Psalm 119:10-11).
Press On Sisters!
Shiloh is an 18 year old young lady who lives with her family in the country. In her spare time she enjoys reading, writing, history, music, and learning the art of midwifery.